The mission of the Waquoit Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve is to promote science-based decision-making that leads to healthy coastal ecosystems.
- Improve the understanding of coastal ecosystems and human influences on them.
- Improve environmental literacy in our communities to enable environmentally-sustainable decision making.
- Demonstrate sustainable stewardship of the land and water ecosystems within the Reserve to serve as a model for community stewardship in the region.
- Foster dialogue and development of coastal ecosystem management solutions through sustained community engagement.
- Improve the operations, infrastructure and stature of the Reserve.
- practice long term resource protection in this representative area,
- sponsor applied research on the natural and human processes within the Waquoit Bay Watershed,
- translate research results to policy-makers and the public to encourage informed decisions on coastal management issues,
- promote stewardship and estuarine awareness through outreach activities designed to inform and involve the local citizenry.